The Eric W. Gritsch Memorial Fund Fellowship for Reformation Studies
Our friends at the Eric W. Gritsch Memorial Fund are offering an excellent fellowship opportunity for a student in the field of Reformation History.
The Gritsch Memorial Fund (est. 2013), founded in honor of Reformation Scholar and Lutheran pastor Eric W. Gritsch (1931–2012), is pleased to offer a substantial fellowship award for a scholar pursuing studies in Reformation history and/or theology.
The fellowship is aimed towards early career scholars. Graduate students at work on their dissertation, recent postdoctoral students, and assistant professors pursuing advanced research are encouraged to apply. Preference is given to scholars associated with a University, Seminary, or Theology department, but independent scholars with a track record of scholarship are also eligible.
The goal of the fellowship is to provide funding support for research projects in Europe where the proposed research would benefit substantially from being on-site. For example, a university, archives, historic site, or research institute.
- Fellowship Award amount: $5,000
- deadline to apply: January 4th, 2019
- award announced: February 10th, 2019
The following materials are required to complete the applicant’s dossier:
- Cover letter
- Statement of Purpose/Précis of research describing the nature of the proposed project as well as a narrative on how and why the opportunity which the fellowship affords will enhance the value of the proposed project
- Letter of Reference from an individual who can speak to the value of the project and the applicant’s ability to complete it
Mail application to:
Eric W. Gritsch Memorial Fund, P.O. Box 23064, Baltimore, MD 21203-5064
The successful applicant must:
- Submit a brief written report on their research and experience within one month of return to the Gritsch Fund board
- make the brief written report available to the Gritsch Fund for use on its website and promotional materials
- Agree to present the results of the research project at an event sponsored by the Gritsch Fund in Baltimore, Maryland within a year of return (travel to Baltimore at applicant’s expense)
- acknowledge the Eric W. Gritsch Fund in any subsequent publication